Savoury Open Topped Pancakes
Here's a real economical basic food loved by everyone for any time of the year and not just for Pancake Tuesday.
This is a real basic recipe with just a pinch of salt and can be topped with lots of quick savoury ideas for that easy, economical snack at any time of the day.
- Sieve the flour, salt and baking powder in a bowl, make a well or space in the centre.
- Add the lightly beaten egg and milk, beating well to form a smooth batter
To Make the Pancakes (any size – depending how hungry you are!)
- In a shallow fry pan, heat just a little oil or butter just enough to lightly cover the pan.
- Pour in sufficient batter just to cover the base of the pan.
- Cook for 1-1½ minutes or until loose, toss or flip over. Cook for a further minute until the bubbles burst, then flip out onto a plate.
- Top with crispy rashers of lightly grilled bacon, top with corn and chilli relish and serve hot garnished with flat leaf parsley.
Basic pancake mix
- 225g/8oz Neills Golden Fleece Plain Flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 egg free range – lightly beaten
- 250ml/½pt milk full cream or low fat
- Rashers of back or streaky bacon – grilled
- Corn and chilli relish
- Flat leaf parsley