Low Cost Savoury Tart
A great all seasons pie, made with good savoury short-crust pastry.
It can be made in a blender or all in one method.
Prepare the pastry
- Place all the ingredients into a blender at once – the sifted flour, fat, seasoning, egg, cheese, water and whiz or blend for 1 minute until the pastry binds together. If making in a bowl place all ingredients in a bowl together and mix with the cold water a little at a time until the pastry binds together.
- Roll in cling-film and allow to relax in the fridge for 15 minutes to prevent the pastry shrinking when rolling out.
- Divide pastry into two. Roll out one piece to line a 7-8 inch plate or pie dish 1 cm thick and use the remainder to make a piece 1 inch wider than the size of the dish to cover the pie.
- Place the cooked, cooled filling on the pastry lined plate, brush the edges with cold water and then use the top layer to seal and cover the pie. Flute the edges together to seal well, place a cross on top and bake in the oven @ 425°F/Gas No 7 for 10 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 160°C (325°F) Gas Mark 5 and cook for a further 15 minutes until the pie is cooked, golden and crumbly. A great family pie. Serve with salad, baked potato and best of all serve warm.
To cook the filling
- Heat oil in a large pan, add onion and cook until opaque. Next add the minced steak and cook over a high heat until well cooked and slightly golden (8-10 minutes).
- Next add the mushrooms, sun dried tomato paste, seasoning, sliced tomatoes and stock.
- Simmer gently for 5-6 minutes then cool slightly before adding to the pie.
Short Crust Pastry
- 225g/8oz Neills Plain Flour
- 110g/4oz softened fat
- 1 egg – lightly beaten
- 25g/1oz grated cheddar cheese
- Pinch of salt
- Add water to mix to a stiff dough – approximately 4-5 dsp
- 300g/12oz lean minced beef
- onion finely chopped – red or white
- 110g/4oz sliced mushrooms
- 2 dsp sundried tomato paste
- Few drops soy or Worcestershire sauce
- 2-3 tomatoes – sliced
- ¼pt/125ml stock
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 tsp olive oil