Bramley Apple Pie in a Pot
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 5, 375˚F, 190˚C. Poach the apples gently in 2 dsp water a 1 dsp of lemon juice. Add sugar and spice to taste. Leave to cool.
- put the butter or margarine and sugar into a saucepan and heat gently until melted. Allow to cool.
- Add the lightly beaten eggs and the Neill's Flour and bind the mixture into a soft dough. While the dough is still warm press two-thirds of it into the base of a greased 22cm (9inch) pie dish.
- Spoon the cooled apples over the top. Shape the remaining pastry into 5 or 6 flattened rounds and arrange on top of the apples, ensuring the filling is well covered.
- Bake for 25 minutes until golden brown. Serve warm, dusted with icing or caster sugar.
- 300g/10oz Neill's self-raising flour
- 180g/6oz butter or margarine
- 180g/6oz caster sugar
- 2 large eggs – lightly beaten
- icing or caster sugar to dust
- 1kg/2lb Bramley apples – peeled, corded and sliced
- 1 tbsp water
- ½ tbsp lemon juice
- 30g/1oz caster sugar
- Pinch cinnamon or clove – ground